1999-2010

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Rock Star Update: David Hull plays Chan's Chinese

In the last chapter of one of the coolest stories of 2006--David Hull’s middle-aged rock star rejuvenation ended as bassist for Aerosmith, ended a few weeks ago, after a four-month odyssey to the top of the rock 'n' roll world.

Dave had been on tour with the band since September, filling in for his old pal Tom Hamilton, who's recovering from treatments for throat cancer.

When the tour ended, the other guys in Aerosmith headed off to elite rock star holiday vacation spots. But Dave, the local rock star of our youth went back to work in the clubs he's been rocking for decades, playing a December 29th gig at Chan’s Chinese Restaurant in Woonsocket, Rhode Island with local blues mainstays, The James Montgomery Band.

Now we've found a review of the show-- and an interview with Dave from the scene.

From Yarmarge.com:

Chinese restaurant venue?
We love playing Chan's. It's so different from any of the other places we play...it reminds me of a 1930's club or a speakeasy. There's always a great crowd and a great vibe at Chan's.

Is it hard to go back to small clubs after playing big arenas with AEROSMITH?
Not at all. I'm playing with amazing musicians in intimate settings. I love this gig.

Favorite AERO songs you like to play?
Toys, Back In the Saddle, and Draw The Line.

As for the review:
It was so freakin loud, I thought my head was going to split open. Too loud? NAY BRO! James Montgomery turned it up so we could feeeel that funky thang! So how loud is he? He rattled the rock in my (egg)roll! HOW loud? He deep-fried the fortune right outta my cookie! HOW LOUD?? He blasted the scorpion outta my bowl!! The set list was smokin'! When they jammed Lovin' Cup, the whole room got hot while James blew harp and lead guitarist George McCann shredded the riffs! For a second there, I thought McCann was gonna set the place on fire!! Jeeeeezus...that man can cook, sho' 'nuff! Marty Richards, formerly of The Peter Wolf Band, wailed on his drums so hard I was half-expecting him to stand up and and kick his kit off the stage. It was torture staying in my seat but if I jumped up on our table like I wanted to, I woulda been shuckin' and jivin' with Marge, myself and I! Might have raised more than a few eyebrows, if you know what I'm sayin'. Get the cd Bring It On Home and see fer yerself. And while you're looking around James' site, check his tour schedule and get yerself to a show. I'll be there, without a doubt!”
A tip of the Tabloid Baby hat to Yarmarge.com! We'll be keeping up with this story, and will keep you up to date on David Hull's probable return to Aerosmith in '07.

No comments: