1999-2010

Friday, April 13, 2007

Sanjaya, Surya, Sanurya, Surjaya-- and Imus

All this attention focused on American Idol fave Sanjaya Malakar has become a royal pain for another Indian-American reality series contestant.

Tabloid Baby pal Surya "Chili" Yalamanchili was fired by Donald Trump in Episode 8 of The Apprentice: LA (though he was our initial favorite to win). When we last checked in with the pride of Cincinatti, Surya told us he wasn't following Idol.

But now, he's let us know that Idol is following him:

For the past 2 weeks, a very interesting phenomenon has occurred. And by "interesting," I actually mean "terrible annoying." When strangers come up to me these days they call me "Sanjaya."

...If you've seen the show you'd know that I look absolutely nothing like him, and you know, there's the fact that I'm not... 16 years old. But anyway, if they don't call me "Sanjaya", the second most common is a "Surya"-"Sanjaya" mix.

Sanurya. Surjaya. Whatever. And yes, I'm being totally serious...

Most distressing. The brilliant Don Imus recently ran into a little bit of trouble by calling some lovely ladies from my alma mater, Rutgers, a few poorly chosen names. I find it hard to believe that other people, likely far more intelligent that Don Imus, can't seem to tell apart two very different looking Indian-Americans who were on TV.

Well, I guess they can tell us apart, they just can't remember our names. Or rather, they can remember his name, but not my name.

If there's any justice in the world, somewhere, wherever that Sanjaya kid lives (or stays... I have no idea how Idol films as I've never seen it), people are coming up to him and asking him about his fascination with whiteboards and the word "absurd."


Read the complete post and more of Surya's musings on his blogsite. And we don't know about you, but we can't wait for the Surya cartoon series.

No comments: